ES 530 errors about MySQL Database connection

edited March 2016 in General
Hello,

We randomly get these emails from various servers with this text:
Action "MySQL Database", invoked by feature, "Logon Tracking" was unable to connect to the database due to error "OdbcExpandError: [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (0)". EventSentry will queue events and continue to attempt the delivery of events.

Any idea what I can check?
I double checked on one of these servers and it says service running agent 3.2.1.6.

Comments

• Hi Keith,

We are currently investigating issues with the MySQL ODBC drivers, which depending on their version, appear to be causing issues with EventSentry. More precisely, it appears as if some builds of the MySQL ODBC drivers 5.2.x and 5.3.x are causing these issues, and only 5.1.x (5.1.13) work reliably.

Can you take a look at one of the servers in question and confirm that they are utilizing the MySQL ODBC driver version 5.2 or later?
  • Where would it tell me the version?

I see in programs and features it says
    EventSentry Agent 3.2.1.6

There is no separate entry for MySQL like there was for older versions of Event Sentry. How we install it is just push it out via the EventSentry console.

EVENT # 6402
    EVENT LOG Application
    EVENT TYPE Error
    OPCODE Info
    SOURCE EventSentry
    EVENT ID 530
    DATE / TIME 3/21/2016 12:44:43 PM

Action "MySQL Database", invoked by feature, "Logon Tracking" was unable to connect to the database due to error "OdbcExpandError: [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (0)". EventSentry will queue events and continue to attempt
  • Hello Keith,

To see the driver version, in EventSentry you can click your database action and then click the Manage button in the center area of the settings pane, this will open the 32-bit ODBC settings for Windows. Click the "Drivers" tab and see which version is listed for MySQL.

If you are not running the MySQL 5.1 driver and are running the less-stable 5.2 or 5.3 drivers, you would need to download the 32-bit MySQL 5.1 driver installer, copy it to each machine, and then manually uninstall the 5.2 or 5.3 driver and manually install the 5.1 driver. If you are not seeing the MySQL driver listed in as a program that you can uninstall, you should be able to remove it by launching its installer and choosing Remove instead of Repair. When you are done installing the 5.1 driver you would also want to delete the 5.2 or 5.3 driver installer from C:\Windows\SYSWOW64\EventSentry on each host so that the agent never attempts to use these installers to repair itself.

Once you have the 5.1 driver deployed you also need to change your connection settings for your database in EventSentry. When your database action is selected, edit the connection string at the top to say driver={MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver} at the beginning and then click the Test button to verify that the driver is working. You can push these new changes to all of your hosts and then restart the agent on all of your hosts for the new connection settings to take effect. You would also want to restart the Heartbeat Agent on the EventSentry server, and restart the Collector and Network Service as well if you are using them.
  • I checked on the EventSentry server and it has
    MySQL ODBC 5.3 ANSI Driver 5.03.04.00 6/19/2014
    MySQL ODBC 5.3 Unicode Driver 503.04.00 6/19/2014

If I check on one of the servers complaining, there is nothing listed in program or features or the odbcad32 program regarding MySQL.

• Would it be easier to just create an exclude rule to not get an email on this alert? How would I go about that because I have exclude rules for Exchange server about a process killbit and also event id 4999 MSExchange Common and we STILL get these alerts.