Filter building

edited July 2016 in EventSentry [General]
I use ES solely to deliver event log entries to my email, where there is a better chance that I will see them.

There are some log entries that I want to eliminate. It seems that the way to do this is to filter them.

When I find the log in the ES GUI under Event Log Viewer (local), I can exclude the event. When I do this, I have to fill in the Filter Name AND a Package. How do I determine what "Package" to put the filter under? The help file wasn't helpful in answering this question.

Comments

• BTW: Whenever I post a new discussion here, I get this error (below) that pops-up and no indication that the post was made (which is why I did a duplicate post yesterday). I am running Firefox ESR 45.2.0.

SMTP Error: Could not authenticate. exception 'Exception' with message 'SMTP Error: Could not authenticate.' in /usr/www/users/atkoeing/forums/library/core/class.email.php:201 Stack trace: #0 /usr/www/users/atkoeing/forums/plugins/EMailSubscribe/default.php(73): Gdn_Email->Send() #1 /usr/www/users/atkoeing/forums/library/core/class.pluginmanager.php(353): EMailSubscribe->PostController_AfterDiscussionSave_Handler(Object(PostController), Array, 'postcontroller_...') #2 /usr/www/users/atkoeing/forums/library/core/class.pluginmanager.php(306): Gdn_PluginManager->CallEventHandler(Object(PostController), 'PostController', 'AfterDiscussion...', 'Handler') #3 /usr/www/users/atkoeing/forums/library/core/class.pluggable.php(122): Gdn_PluginManager->CallEventHandlers(Object(PostController), 'PostController', 'AfterDiscussion...') #4 /usr/www/users/atkoeing/forums/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.postcontroller.php(140): Gdn_Pluggable->FireEvent('AfterDiscussion...') #5 [internal function]: PostController->Discussion('5') #6 /usr/www/users/atkoeing/forums/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(293): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #7 /usr/www/users/atkoeing/forums/index.php(38): Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch() #8 {main}
  • Apparently I am doing something wrong in the filter building process because the 2 filters I built are not filtering anything!
  • Sorry for the issues with the forum, we are working on resolving this and this should be fixed shortly.

We have a number of resources which explain and walk you through the creation of exclude filters:

http://www.eventsentry.com/support/tutorial/topic/include-exclude-filters/step/1

As far as the package is concerned, you can add your exclude filter either to an existing package, or you can create a new package and assign the filter to that package. It is up to you what you prefer - just make sure that the package is assigned correctly (or global).